error near build_libtool_libs

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 23 17:18:46 PST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 10:36, William Davis wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2009, at 10:11 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Feb 22, 2009, at 11:01, William Davis wrote:
>>
>>> the following error appears in something like 6 ports:
>>>
>>> checking for gawk... gawk
>>> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
>>> ./configure: line 2554: syntax error near unexpected token
>>> `build_libtool_libs,'
>>> ./configure: line 2554: `    _LT_DECL(build_libtool_libs,
>>> enable_shared, 0,'
>>>
>>> and configure fails.  The only difference in the error between
>>> the ports is the specific line number. The example shown is for
>>> aalib trying to go from  aalib                          1.4rc5_3
>>> to  1.4rc5_4 .  Any suggestions?
>>
>> I just filed a bug for this against xorg-libXt.
>>
>> It occurred because I had both libtool and libtool1 activate.
>> Deactivating libtool1 allowed the build to proceed.

[snip]

> Perhaps libtool1 and libtool ports sould be marked as mutually
> incompatable.

They were not intended to be incompatible, and also there is no port
syntax for declaring a port incompatible with another. libtool1 was
created when libtool was updated to version 2, so that software that
is incompatible with libtool 2 can be switched to use the libtool1
port instead.

jmr suggested we delete libtool1 since no ports use it at this time:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18601#comment:2

However, it was just created 3 months ago. I'm not sure we've yet
discovered if there are ports that are incompatible with libtool 2.

Attached is a list of the 93 ports that depend on libtool, sorted in
order of when the "version" line in the portfile was last updated
(along with the script I used to created the unsorted list, which I
then piped through "sort"). We should test the oldest ports (at the
top of the list) to see if they work with libtool 2 before deciding
to delete libtool1.