Issue with double perl

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 23 17:25:45 PST 2009

On Feb 23, 2009, at 09:35, Paul Maunders wrote:

> Jacco Rens-2 wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to build imapsync on my machine, but it fails with the
>> following error:

>> --->  Installing p5-digest-md5 @2.38_0
>> --->  Activating p5-digest-md5 @2.38_0
>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
>> local/
>> share/man/man3/Digest::MD5.3pm.gz is being used by the active perl5.8
>> port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f flag to force
>> the activation.
>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: p5-digest-md5
>> p5-io-
>> socket-ssl p5-net-libidn libidn gettext expat libiconv gperf ncurses
>> ncursesw p5-net-ssleay p5-mail-imapclient p5-term-readkey
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>
> I'm also getting the same problem. I tried the suggestion of
> deactivating
> the p5-digest-md5 package

That is not what the message is suggesting.

> but that didn't work:
>
> paul-imac-wired:local paul$ sudo port -f deactivate p5-digest-md5
> Error: port deactivate failed: Registry error: p5-digest-md5 not
> registered
> as installed & active.
>
> I think it was actually asking us to deactivate the perl5.8 port,

That is one of the two choices the message suggests to you, however
it is not the correct one in this case.

> so I did this:
>
> paul-imac-wired:local paul$ sudo port -f deactivate perl5.8
> --->  Deactivating perl5.8
>
> ... and it gets a bit further:
>
> paul-imac-wired:local paul$ sudo port install imapsync
> --->  Activating p5-digest-md5 @2.38_0
> --->  Cleaning p5-digest-md5
>
> It goes on to install a number of other packages, but then fails at
> the
> following step:
>
> --->  Configuring p5-net-libidn
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
> shell
> command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_
> p5-net-libidn/work/Net-LibIDN-0.10"
> && /opt/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=vendor " returned
> error 127
> Command output: sh: /opt/local/bin/perl: No such file or directory

You have deactivated perl5.8, so it's no surprise it cannot now find
the perl program.

The correct solution to the problem at the time you encountered the
error message was to forcibly activate p5-digest-md5 with the
following command:

sudo port -f activate p5-digest-md5

But since you have since then done other things, you will first need
to clean that up with:

sudo port deactivate p5-digest-md5
sudo port activate perl5.8

Now you can forcibly activate p5-digest-md5:

sudo port -f activate p5-digest-md5

Now everything is installed in the correct order.