apache2 location

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Tue Feb 24 22:13:07 PST 2009

On Feb 24, 2009, at 7:45 PM, Bill Hernandez wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2009, at 7:03 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:

>>> how about leaving it where it has been for years? I suspect many
>>> people who use the port have become "attached" to the current
>>> location, including me.
>

> Scott,
>
> Please don't change it.
>
> I wish mysql, pgsql, php were setup in individual directories like
> apache2.
>
> That was one of the niceties of installing them individually in /usr/
> local
>
> /usr/local/apache
> /usr/local/mysql
> /usr/local/pgsql
> /usr/local/php

So we would add /usr/local/apache/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/local/
pgsql/bin:/usr/local/php/bin:etc............................
to our environment path?

And when apache, mysql or pgsql data out grow your disks you would
move all your bin, data and etc to another volume and change your
paths and startup parameters so they could find the new location for
configs?

Data often needs to move. Binaries and configs hardly ever.

I think Scott sees an inconsistency and an error with the macports
apache2 install. That's hard to deny.

Why not just park everything at /. No distribution I know of including
apple will over write /apache2 and /mysql. Ok, now I'm kidding. Oh,
maybe not.

ls /opt/local | cat
apache2
bin
etc
include
lib
libexec
man
sbin
share
sql-bench
var

Doesn't apache2 and sql-bench just look odd. Maybe we should give them
a bunch of company.

I think of /opt/local/ as the root or macports.

> It may not work as well with shared resources, etc. but there is
> something really nice about going to one folder and finding
> everything you need for one application.

I agree.

> symlinks can address any difficulties.

Symlinks or 50 dirs in your path. Why not go the other way around. Put
binaries in $prefix/bin, configs in $prefix/etc and data $prefix/var
or where you have good disk space and add your convenience symlinks
where ever you find them convenient? Like $home/apache2.

Now I will never mention this again :)

Moving on.....

//Brad