apache2 location

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Wed Feb 25 06:11:54 PST 2009

On 2009-02-24 , at 15:35 , Scott Haneda wrote:

> If I modify the port to put apache in www, I believe that to be the
> correct place based on the above url, is this a huge undertaking
> that is going to require a lot of discussion to not break thing?
> Every path is going to need to change.
>
> To me it is worth it to follow the guidelines of MacPorts, but this
> may be one that is so engrained in MacPorts, it might not want to
> change.

hmmm - I'm comparing my Mac OS X 10.3 system, my Centos 5 system, and
an Ubuntu system.

Yeah, well, the Ubuntu system is just too weird (now I know why I
chose Centos ;-) they name httpd apache2...

The executable files could be split amongst /usr/sbin (apachectl,
httpd) and /usr/bin (htdigest, htpasswd)

The configuration files could be put in /opt/local/etc/httpd

The htdocs directory could be put in /opt/local/www, but some could
make that case that it should actually be /opt/local/var/www - at this
point it probably becomes "whose distribution is the master/overlord"
- Unix politics at its finest ;-)

Of course, why would you put your web site assets into the /opt/local
tree? not like anyone is going to do that.
Same goes for MySQL databases as well, but that's a different issue.

So does "fixing" the apache2 port to behave like "real" systems simply
mean the port should add symlinks in sbin and bin (wherever you put
them) that point to the binaries in /opt/local/apache2?

Please see MySQL5 - they provide the symlinks. Want an oddball path or
2?

ls -al /opt/local/bin/mysqladmin
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  28B  2 Sep  2007 /opt/local/bin/mysqladmin@
-> ../lib/mysql5/bin/mysqladmin