Trace mode (was: Re: Process for checking port dependencies)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 25 21:52:49 PST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 19:17, Joshua Root wrote:

> This is the main problem that trace mode (-t) was designed to solve.

Speaking of trace mode, it doesn't work for me. Fails during extract
already:

$ port -dt extract zlib
DEBUG: Found port in file:///Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/archivers/
zlib
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/
archivers/zlib
DEBUG: setting option os.universal_supported to yes
DEBUG: org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
DEBUG: org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a pre-
existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
DEBUG: Using group file /Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/_resources/
port1.0/group/muniversal-1.0.tcl
DEBUG: universal variant already exists, so not adding the default one
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port zlib.
DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port zlib.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port zlib.
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.main (zlib)
--->  Fetching zlib
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.fetch (zlib)
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for zlib
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.checksum (zlib)
--->  Checksumming zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2
DEBUG: Correct (md5) checksum for zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2
DEBUG: Correct (sha1) checksum for zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2
DEBUG: Correct (rmd160) checksum for zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2
DEBUG: setting option extract.cmd to /mp/bin/bzip2
--->  Extracting zlib
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.extract (zlib)
--->  Extracting zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2
DEBUG: setting option extract.args to /mp/var/macports/distfiles/zlib/
zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2
DEBUG: Environment: MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET='10.4'
DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/mp/var/macports/build/
_Users_rschmidt_macports_dports_archivers_zlib/work" && /mp/bin/bzip2
-dc /mp/var/macports/distfiles/zlib/zlib-1.2.3.tar.bz2 | /usr/bin/
gnutar --no-same-owner -xf -'
Warning: setrlimit failed (1)
dyld: could not load inserted library: /mp/share/macports/Tcl/
darwintrace1.0/darwintrace.dylib

The problem seems to be that darwintrace.dylib is compiled for i386
only but my bzip2 is 4-way universal. If I deactivate bzip2
+universal and install bzip2 non-universal it extracts fine.

So for darwintrace to work with 4-way universal ports, I need to
build MacPorts base as 4-way universal? I have tried, but I get:

checking objc/objc.h usability... yes
checking objc/objc.h presence... yes
checking for objc/objc.h... yes
checking if linking libobjc requires pthreads... no
checking for Apple Objective-C runtime... no
checking for GNU Objective C runtime... no
configure: error: Could not locate a working Objective-C runtime.
See `config.log' for more details.