Difference in -v or -d

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 26 01:20:21 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 01:47, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 9:21 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Feb 25, 2009, at 22:09, Scott Haneda wrote:
>>> I wish I could give you an example, let me try to explain:
>>> sudo port -v install
>>> password: ******
>>>
>>> Thats it, that is all I get, it just sits there, nothing, a blank
>>> line in the shell, fully stalled.  Next time, I will run `lsof`
>>> and `top` and see what is going on.
>>>
>>> I can only recover from the above with a control-c
>>>
>>> After that control-c, if I run the same command, -d instead,
>>> immediately, all the debug and info lines are sent to the screen.
>>
>> As Joshua said, -d prints output that -v does not. So everything
>> may be completely normal. How long have you waited at this point?
>> On what computer is this? What speed processor and disk? How much
>> memory? What port?
>
> Dual g5 2.0, 5 minutes at most, SATA II drives, on a SATA I
> interface, 16MB cache, I think 8GB memory.  Port, hmm, could have
> been dovecot, postfix, apache2, php.
>
> Lets me work out some better test cases, now that I know it may be
> normal, I can investigate deeper.

5 minutes seems like a very long time on a modern machine like that.
I could understand an older G3 or G4 taking that long to process the
list of dependencies for something enormous with a hundred
dependencies, but not apache2 which only depends on a dozen other ports.

In any case, as you know, -d prints more info than -v. So run it with
-d instead of -v and see what it's doing. Or try this: build the port
once with -d and once with -v and time it and see if -v is really
taking a lot longer.

sudo port clean apache2
time sudo port -df destroot apache2
sudo port clean apache2
time sudo port -vf destroot apache2
sudo port clean apache2

It should be the case that the above two destroot commands take
roughly the same amount of time, and that the one with -d will print
more information than the one with -v.