apache2 location

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Thu Feb 26 10:57:41 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 5:25 AM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 1:16 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Feb 24, 2009, at 22:41, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> Ports should not install things that Apple Software Update may
>> overwrite. The whole point of having a separate MacPorts prefix is
>> to isolate MacPorts-installed software from Apple-installed software.
>
> This comes back to my above comment then, why does
> "destroot.violate_mtree" even exist?  MacPorts expressly forbids
> outside of /opt, strongly discourages installs right into prefix,
> just make it a steadfast rule.

Some ports install userland gui apps into /Applications/Macports or
something like it. I don't use them but a path like that needs to be
and probably is in mtree.

>> A suggestion I made some time ago was that each error or warning
>> MacPorts can print should be rather short (no more than one line),
>> and then it should print a URL to a wiki page where the error can
>> be described in more detail. Each such error page should, I think,
>> be divided into two sections: 1) what a user should do about this
>> message, and 2) what a port author should do about this message.
>> What do you think about this idea?
>
> This is an excellent idea.  We can sit here and try to debate the
> perfect terse message, and never come to agreement.  MacPorts also
> moves data across the screen pretty fast, if you are around 100
> chars wide, it is wrapped, and a mess to read.  It really is not the
> place for this info, for the detail we need to get across.
>
> This solves it for me for the time that these warnings are going to
> be around. Of course, I believe the goal should be no warnings, etc,
> but where there must be, a wiki page, short and then long
> description, both for user and maintainer, is perfect.

I don't see this done now but maybe I'm missing it. The user messages
fly by the screen in -v and -d mode. Many ports install dependencies.

Would it make sense to collect these user messages and present them at
the end of the port run?

Foo messages:
blah
blah
Bar messages:
blah

>> On Feb 25, 2009, at 08:11, Chris Janton wrote:
>>> The configuration files could be put in /opt/local/etc/httpd
>>
>> That sounds reasonable. But both apache (1) and apache2 are called
>> "httpd" so we may want to use ${prefix}/etc/apache2 and ${prefix}/
>> etc/apache instead so that a user who has tried more than one of
>> apache and apache2 will not be confused. An apache (1)
>> configuration file would not be appropriate for use with apache2
>> and vice versa. The same goes for whatever directory we choose for
>> apache modules -- these are not compatible between versions.
>
> I like this, and it mimics /etc/apache2 on OS X now.  I believe
> Apache1 was /etc/httpd but those days are long gone.  Your
> suggestion of this layout is good and what I was thinking as well.
> it is a small bummer for tab completion if you have a side by side
> install of both, but that is not the normal case.

I believe other distributions take this approach as well.

//Brad