launchd and multiple x11.apps

Andy Schmitt smurfair at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 15:33:24 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 04:04, Andy Schmitt wrote:
>
>> I'm at a loss as to how to get X apps to launch my compiled
>> Applications/MacPorts/X11.app rather than the XQuartz-installed
>> Applications/Utilities/X11.app.
>
> I sent an email about this a while back.  org.x.X11 is the X11.app
> that is associated with the launchd process.  That BundleID is hard
> coded to be the one that interacts with launchd.  If you want to
> change to using the MacPorts X11.app, you'll need to edit the
> Info.plist for both X11.apps (change the /A/U one to something else,
> and change the /A/MP one to org.x.X11).
>
>> The only thing I could think of was changing org.x.startx.plist so
>> launchd would know which version to use– but that hasn't gotten me
>> anywhere.
>
> Yeah, revert that change.

That seems to have almost done the trick. The changes to the BundleIDs
and a restart certainly made launchd forget about the /A/U copy.
However launchctl listed startx, quartz-wm, X11.bin, etc as running,
but X11.app never actually came up.

It wasn't until I created /Library/LaunchAgents/
org.macports.startx.plist and restarted again before X11 launched
properly. Should that be the case?

Anyway, seems to be working correctly now. Thanks much for the help.

Andy