port updates

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Feb 27 03:28:45 PST 2009

Can I get some guidance on port updates?  Here would be an example case:

port install:
/opt/local/var/ASSP
/opt/local/var/ASSP/assp.pl
/opt/local/var/ASSP/files/a.txt
/opt/local/var/ASSP/files/b.txt
/opt/local/var/ASSP/files/c.txt

Those are the files installed on a new instalation.

If  new version comes up, I will update the portfile. However, only
/opt/local/var/ASSP/assp.pl
will need to be replaced, the rest are equal to user config files.

Would I just build my inital port file to do something like:
	if (! file_exists('/opt/local/var/ASSP/files/a.txt')) {
		// xinstall the file
	}

That way, when an update comes along, it leaves those files alone?
These files would still be registered with ports, so an uninstall
would remove them?

Is the general idea that an uninstall removes everything, or do I want
to somehow preserve those files on uninstall as well?
--
Scott

* If you contact me off list replace talklists@ with scott@ *