Updating MySQL

Marion Dumas mariouka at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 04:19:41 PST 2009

Hello!
The mysql4 server is active, so I tried to stop this server in order
to install mysql5 by typing in mysqladmin shutdown, but this returns
the following error message
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/opt/local/
var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/opt/local/var/run/
mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!

How else can I shutdown the server?
Thank you