python 2.6 port questions

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Fri Jan 2 15:08:14 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 04:40:56PM -0600, Brian Barnes said:
> Hello,
>
> I am considering upgrading my macports install, and part of that would
> likely involve going from py25-* to py26-*.  However, when looking at
> available ports, I see that py25-pyx, py25-zlib, and py25-tkinter all
> exist, but their py26- equivalents are not listed.  In some cases (zlib,
> tkinter), a 3.0 port is listed.  However, a message on macports-dev
> suggests that perhaps something is fundamentally changed with zlib in the
> py26 ports [1].
>
> For anyone who's already taken the plunge, will the py26- ports do
> everything py25- does?  Or will I be missing pyx, tkinter, and zlib?  As
> someone who has submitted a change to the py25-pyx portfile previously, I
> may suggest that the pyx-specific parts of the py25-pyx portfile could
> probably be copied straight over to a py26 port, and encourage someone
> with cvs access to give it a shot (please!).

python26 builds with itself several modules that are separate ports for
other versions of python: py*-bsddb, py*-bz2, py*-curses, py*-gdbm,
py*-hashlib, py*-readline, py*-socket-ssl, py*-sqlite3, py*-tkinter, and
py*-zlib.

So in your list, the only one that's needed would be py26-pyx, I'd try it
but don't currently have texlive installed.

Bryan