Two MacPorts installs: problem with Python

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Jan 11 13:24:56 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 07:58:06PM +0100, Bart Masschelein said:
> Hi all,
>
> I needed another MacPorts install for some development testing, so I
> installed a version of the trunk in a new location. Python appears to be
> required as dependency, but I get the following error:
>
> --->  Activating python25 @2.5.4_0+darwin_9+macosx
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /
> Applications/MacPorts/MacPython 2.5/Build Applet.app/Contents/Info.plist
> already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to
> activate port python25.
>
> Probably it is related to the fact | have a 'normal' MacPorts in my /
> opt/local, which previously has created these files.
>
> How can I get around this? I don't think deactivating the Python from my
> original MacPorts will solve the problem.

When you install from source, and want to avoid conflicts with a standard
MacPorts install, use the --with-tclpackage, --with-applications-dir, and
--with-frameworks-dir to point to subdirectories within your chosen prefix.
This way, everything gets placed into ${prefix}; for example,

$ ./configure --prefix=/other --with-tclpackage=/other/Library/Tcl
--with-applications-dir=/other/Applications
--with-frameworks-dir=/other/Library/Frameworks

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bart
>
> PS: I use the trunk, because the tarball for 1.7 gave me consistent
> errors about 'violation of the path structure' for each port. This was
> solved by using the trunk.

Probably ticket #13789

<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/13789>

which as you've discovered is fixed on trunk.  If it is that, you should be
able to still use 1.7 just make sure there's no slash at the end of prefix.

Bryan