installing boost-python

Evert Rol evert.rol at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 12:46:26 PST 2009

  Hi all,

I have a problem installing the boost python libraries over macports.
It actually installs fine, but it looks like the libboost_python*
libraries don't pick up the macport python headers/libraries, but the
system ones. Eg:
$> otool -L libboost_python-mt.dylib
libboost_python-mt.dylib:
	/opt/local/lib/libboost_python-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0,
current version 0.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Python
(compatibility version 2.5.0, current version 2.5.1)
	/usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.4.0)
	/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 111.0.0

where I would have expected the python line to be prepended with
/opt/local at least.

The problem shows up once I try to compile a file with libboost_python
into a python so module, because the python interpreter (which is the
/opt/local/bin/python25 one) doesn't agree with the version number:
the module was linked with 2.5.1 system libraries, not with the 2.5.4
macport ones.
I've tried uninstalling and installing boost, but that doesn't appear
to work. The boost portfile does explicitly seem to link to the
macport python libraries, so I cannot see any problem there.

I realise this may not completely be a macports issue, but possibly
something to ask the maintainer, but if anyone on the list has some
suggestions where to look or what to change, I'd appreciate that.
For the record, the system is a G5 pro running Leopard.

  Evert