Error on environment?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 12 22:06:56 PST 2009

On Jan 11, 2009, at 14:13, Doctor Who wrote:

> I installed the findutils and coreutils packages so that I could use
> locate on my Mac.

FYI, locate works fine on my Mac without installing anything extra
with MacPorts... I'm on Tiger, though I've probably enabled something
somewhere along the way to get this to work.

> When I attempt to update the database using
> 'updatedb', I get:
>
> /usr/bin/sort: string comparison failed: Illegal byte sequence
> /usr/bin/sort: Set LC_ALL='C' to work around the problem.
> /usr/bin/sort: The strings compared were
> `/APPLICATIONS/BURN.APP/CONTENTS/RESOURCES/JAPANESE.LPROJ/BURN
> Ã\230Ã\253Ã\225Â\232/TY/TASK_STYLE.CSS' and
> `/APPLICATIONS/BURN.APP/CONTENTS/RESOURCES/JAPANESE.LPROJ/
> CREDITS.HTML'.
>
> Hopefully someone can tell me how to fix this.

Is your LANG environment variable set to anything? If so, what? I
assume you need to set it to a reasonable value for your terminal.
For example, I set LANG to "en_US.UTF-8".