Error on environment?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 13 16:45:44 PST 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 08:50, Doctor Who wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jan 11, 2009, at 14:13, Doctor Who wrote:
>>
>>> I installed the findutils and coreutils packages so that I could use
>>> locate on my Mac.
>>
>> FYI, locate works fine on my Mac without installing anything extra
>> with
>> MacPorts... I'm on Tiger, though I've probably enabled something
>> somewhere
>> along the way to get this to work.
>>

>>> When I attempt to update the database using
>>> 'updatedb', I get:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/sort: string comparison failed: Illegal byte sequence
>>> /usr/bin/sort: Set LC_ALL='C' to work around the problem.
>>> /usr/bin/sort: The strings compared were
>>> `/APPLICATIONS/BURN.APP/CONTENTS/RESOURCES/JAPANESE.LPROJ/BURN
>>> Ã\230Ã\253Ã\225Â\232/TY/TASK_STYLE.CSS' and
>>> `/APPLICATIONS/BURN.APP/CONTENTS/RESOURCES/JAPANESE.LPROJ/
>>> CREDITS.HTML'.
>>>
>>> Hopefully someone can tell me how to fix this.
>>
>> Is your LANG environment variable set to anything? If so, what? I
>> assume you
>> need to set it to a reasonable value for your terminal. For
>> example, I set
>> LANG to "en_US.UTF-8".
>
> Thanks, where should this setting be?

Type "export LANG=en_US.UTF-8". Then try updatedb again. If it works,
you'll know that was it, and it would be a good idea to modify your
shell startup file to include that line to set LANG for you. Your
shell startup file might be ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile or possibly
others; I'm sure the Bash documentation has a complete list of all
the files it checks at launch time.