gd2 fails on perl5

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Wed Jan 14 14:28:51 PST 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Eric Hall wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:16:46AM -0800, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> [snip]

>>> You should get /usr/share/bin out of that PATH statement.
>>>
>>> Also, remove /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin. It is not supported
>>> to have anything installed in the prefix /usr/local while using
>>> MacPorts; it causes problems for many ports. You should remove any
>>> software in /usr/local/{bin,include,lib,man,share} and install it
>>> using MacPorts instead. (Any other prefix, including any
>>> subdirectory of /usr/local, is fine; it's just /usr/local itself
>>> that's problematic. So there's no problem with keeping /usr/local/
>>> php5/bin or /usr/local/mysql/bin in the PATH. Though php5 and mysql5
>>> are of course available through MacPorts as well.)
>>
>> Macports versions and variants of mysql and php do not get me what I
>> need.
>>
>> The use of /usr/local is so prevalent I'm surprised to hear that I
>> should not use /usr/local and macports at the same time. Seems
>> everything I build on freebsd using freebsd ports installs there to /
>> usr/local. Most unix software that isn't available using macports
>> installs to /usr/local.
>>
>> If a macports package want's to use something outside /opt/local that
>> is available and fit's the need I think that's fine.
>>
>> Is it possible to keep macports file writes confined to /opt/local
>> regardless of where the files it uses to build are located?
>>
>> Do you have this file on your system which on mine is called called
>> from /etc/profile?
>> /usr/libexec/path_helper
>> This script reads paths to env from /etc/paths.
>>
>> I don't ever remembering editing it but along with /bin and /usr/bin
>> was /usr/local/bin.
>>

> 	I think its impractical to expect people using macports to
> never use /usr/local/{bin,sbin}.

We agree.

> There is a problem with some
> ports automatically finding things installed under /usr/local,
> and it is impractical to expect port authors to catch every
> instance of that - that should be made clear to people (if it
> isn't already).

We agree. Also, if I already have mysql(d) installed somewhere else
(like os x server) and would like to keep what I have I'd be happy if
macports would use what I already have rather then build another
mysql(d) and force me to use this.

> 	Also, if the MacPorts versions of software (mysql and php
> as pointed out above) don't provided what you need, asking for
> enhancements so that they do will (nominally) benefit you and
> others, please file tickets (http://trac.macports.org) requesting
> such.

I did, and submitted a patch to add variants to bind9 and dovecot. I
have heard nothing back.

//Brad