History in port's cmd line available?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Jan 16 08:23:19 PST 2009

Eckhard Wiemann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> does anybody know if a command history is available in port's
> interactive mode? It would be nice if I could correct type-errors in a
> more comfortable way than typing the line again. Tab-completion would be
> appreciated, too.

It is available, but only if you install from the dmg, or build from
source and pass --enable-readline to configure. (IOW, you lose readline
support when you selfupdate.)

An alternative would be to not use interactive mode and install the
bash-completion port, which gives you tab completion for the port command.

- Josh