Error after trying to upgrade installed

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Jan 18 15:58:37 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:46:45AM +0100, Rainer Müller said:
> Doctor Who wrote:
> > I have MacPorts 1.7.0 installed.  I did a 'sudo port outdated' and had
> > 5 or 6 ports that needed updating.  I then ran a 'sudo port upgrade
> > outdated' and it failed after a while with errors like:
> >
> > sudo port upgrade outdated
> > --->  Deactivating gettext @0.17_3
> > Error: Deactivating gettext 0.17_3 failed:
> > --->  Activating perl5.8 @5.8.9_2
[...]
> Looks like you have coreutils +with_default_names installed, but you
> broke it. /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib is provided by gettext, but for
> some reason it seems not to be active.

Somebody reported this same issue last night on IRC, where it fails to
deactivate gettext but not giving any actual error message.  It ends up
removing all files from ${prefix} but then fails to set the port as not
active, and ends up confused.

You can't force-activate as it complains that it is already active, and any
further deactivate results in the same output above.

Unfortunately I didn't see any way to deal with this or what the cause was,
and was hoping it was a one-off issue.  This is two now this weekend, so
maybe something strange is going on in base...

Bryan