Error after trying to upgrade installed

robert delius royar apple at frinabulax.org
Mon Jan 19 05:37:05 PST 2009

So much traffic on this thread, so much time spent answering questions.
But I do not recall any of the answerers trying
port provides /opt/local/lib/libintl.dylib

That would have pointerd out that the initial problem of gettext wanting
to reinstall itself (perhaps for no good reason) had removed the dylibs
that gettext provides and uses, itself.

I believe this highlights some error in the 1.70 base.  I say this
because it seems to be faulty UI that allows a user to specify a variant
that when in place the port command can be broken in a simple upgrade.

I mention above "perhaps for no good reason" because last week when I
upgraded graphviz which upgraded gd2, I got into a loop of trying to
upgrade freetype, zlib and gettext, none of which were outdated
according to port.  I finally had to force the reinstallation of zlib
and gettext, force uninstall gd2, freetype, zlib, and gettext and start
over.

That was not the first time I had seen this loop of upgrading a port
that was the same version as the curreny installed version, followed by
failing to install the "new" version because a version was already in
place (the same version).  In some cases the process stopps there; in
others it moves to the next port that it either "thinks" should be
upgraded or really should be.  Then if that port depends on one of the
ports it has mistakenly identified as outdated, it goes into the same
pattern.  On a few occassions I have found libraries from those ports
which wer not in need of replacement--but replaced anyway--missing.
TimeMachine is useful, then,

I have the last model of the G5 iMac running 10.5.6, and the
portinstalltype is direct, and portarchivemode is no.  1.7 seems as
though it has sections that are not sure what "direct" mode is by the
way; some ports I have upgraded recently report "activating."  I have
not used image mode on this machine at all.

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar                   Associate Professor of English
Morehead State University                             Morehead, Kentucky