pf-net-dns

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Mon Jan 19 21:23:21 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:45:56PM -0800, Scott Haneda wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>
> >This is the quite-annoying #12710:
> >
> ><http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12710>
>

> 16 months old. I am trying to push more and more people to use ports
> so I can get them to use assp, as a simple way to get it up and running.
>
> is this an issue for all users more or less?  If so, I am curious, why
> is it at 16 months, is it a problem solving the way to solve this
> issue, and there is no real clean way to solve it?

	It hasn't been solved because nobody has taken the
time to do it.  I'm interested in fixing it by applying the
@INC inversion (ala FreeBSD ports), I've been stymied by
the lack of time to 1) go through all the various ideas
as to why this is or is not the "right" solution and
2) properly test it.
	The latter is the real kicker, while I use
perl quite a bit, I'm sure I don't have even half of
the possible test space covered.  The best thing I can
think of for testing coverage is to get a functional
@INC inverted perl Portfile done and make it available
for people to test with.  When I get that done, I'll
definitely get the word out.  If somebody else gets
it done first, I'll help test, etc.

		-eric