Understanding what I am calling the mess that is perl modules

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jan 21 00:35:05 PST 2009

Me again... Sorry

I need Tie::RDBM
If someone can tell me anything wrong I am doing, or better ways, I
would be able to provide more ports back to MacPorts.

`port search p5-tie`
4 results, none of which appear to be what I want.

What are the possibilities Tie::RDBM is contained within one of the 4
results macports found?  The answer to that should be 0.  If it is
not, I am searching wrong and would like to know how to correctly
search.  If I am searching correctly, there needs to be a standard way
to resolve this where the contents of a module are put into the port
file so it can be searched and found.

I have a feeling the answer is not 0.  That being the case, I would
like to suggest no port be approved until this qualification for
search is met.  ports may have 5000+ port files, but with this issue
solved, it could appear to have many many more.

I am trying to add in Tie::RDBM and find this page:
http://search.cpan.org/~lds/Tie-DBI-1.02/lib/Tie/RDBM.pm

Version 0.70, so I would make my port file with a name of:
p5-Tie-RDBM 0.70
Which is going to translate to downloading a file of:
Tie-RDBM-0.70.tar.gz

I am betting dollars to donuts that will fail.  On the cpan page I see
they want me to download Tie-DBI-1.02.tar.gz.

And there, I am lost, the version is way off, the name is off, there
is no way MacPorts is going to figure this out.

I actually do not even understand why a port has to be made for
anything in CPAN.  I am sure the publish a list of all their modules,
how come that list can not just exist in MacPorts, and we can simply
issue something like `sudo port install cpan-foo::bar::baz and have
MacPorts do the rest.

For items that would not build right away, or if someone wants
something tried, true, and tested, there could be a full port file.

Thanks for all the help, I did manage to submit a few portfiles to the
tracker today.
--
Scott