Understanding what I am calling the mess that is perl modules

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jan 21 04:34:43 PST 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2009, at 3:19 AM, Emmanuel Hainry wrote:
>
>> There was an attempt at that: cpan2port
>> [http://www.nabble.com/announce:-cpan2port-td20415884.html]. I don't
>> know what is its current status, but that's a nice thing. If it was
>> also
>> possible to have this for python eggs, ruby gems, ctan, etc. However,
>> debian has had such a tool for a long time, other package managers
>> also
>> have.
>

> Cool, thanks.
> I downloaded it, and moved it to ~/bin which is in my path.
>
> When I run it with no arguments to get to help for it, I get errors,
> which reference macports, which I should not, since I am using the
> built in perl in OS X.
>
> $whereis perl
> /usr/bin/perl

I think I am sort of seeing what is going on here. perl -V is using
the macports version for some reason.   would think that `perl` needs
to continue to use the OS X perl, and that I would need to call out
the /opt/local/bin/perl when I want to use the MacPorts one.

I came to this conclusion since when making a port, one of the main
things the port does, is read in files and do a find and replace on
the built in perl and stuff in /opt/local/bin/perl.

If that is the case, then it has to be my .bashrc file that is messing
with the proper behavior.

I have the usual
export PATH="$PATH:$HOME/bin"

And I added in
# For MacPorts
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
export DISPLAY=:0.0
export EDITOR=/usr/bin/mate

I had to ditch the pre-installed .profile since it did not work for
me. Maybe I should have referenced it from this file.  How do I tell
the shell to use a certain order on where perl is located, or is that
the wrong way to solve this?

Also, is there any way for EDITOR to be dynamic, so that when I am on
the actual machine I want to use mate as my editor, but if I am over
ssh, I want to use a terminal based editor.  Is that just a matter of
wrapping the default in a condition that checks where I am at?
--
Scott