Understanding what I am calling the mess that is perl modules

Kurt Hillig khillig at umich.edu
Wed Jan 21 05:04:16 PST 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2009, at 06:34, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Also, is there any way for EDITOR to be dynamic, so that when I am on the
>> actual machine I want to use mate as my editor, but if I am over ssh, I
>> want to use a terminal based editor.  Is that just a matter of wrapping the
>> default in a condition that checks where I am at?
>
> I would also be interested in knowing how to set that up. I've wanted this
> many times but never really looked into what I would need to do.

If you always use ssh for remote logins then you can test for the
existence of the SSH_CLIENT environment variable.  It doesn't exist when
you're logged in locally.

                             Dr. Kurt Hillig
   UMNet Administration     I always tell the    Fax (734)763-4050
  University of Michigan     absolute truth,    Phone (734)647-8778
Ann Arbor, MI  48105-3640    as I see it.   EMail khillig(at)umich.edu