requirement installed where the sun don't shine

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 22 01:24:43 PST 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 21:15, Thomas Keller wrote:

> I've run into this problem a couple of times. The latest incident
> is with install of wine. It requires fontforge which I installed
> "by hand" in its default location of /usr/local/bin/
>
> how do I impart that path to port?

You don't. MacPorts is designed to use its own libraries, not those
you have installed in /usr/local or anywhere else. Please see:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries

wine used to declare a dependency on fontforge, until it was
explained to me that wine does not actually require fontforge, so I
removed the dependency. Please see:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17671

If you have justification for bringing the fontforge dependency back,
I'm all ears.