gd2 fails on perl5

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 22 22:03:59 PST 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 16:28, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

>> There is a problem with some
>> ports automatically finding things installed under /usr/local,
>> and it is impractical to expect port authors to catch every
>> instance of that - that should be made clear to people (if it
>> isn't already).
>
> We agree. Also, if I already have mysql(d) installed somewhere else
> (like os x server) and would like to keep what I have I'd be happy
> if macports would use what I already have rather then build another
> mysql(d) and force me to use this.

It's not MacPorts that needs to know about and optionally use such an
existing MySQL; it's each individual port that wants to offer that
option. For example, here is the open request to add that capability
to the php5 port:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14105

>> 	Also, if the MacPorts versions of software (mysql and php
>> as pointed out above) don't provided what you need, asking for
>> enhancements so that they do will (nominally) benefit you and
>> others, please file tickets (http://trac.macports.org) requesting
>> such.
>
> I did, and submitted a patch to add variants to bind9 and dovecot.
> I have heard nothing back.

I apologize, I do recall that request, but I cannot find the email or
ticket about it now. If there was a ticket, could you remind me of
the ticket number? If the request was by email, could you forward it
to me again? Thanks.