General ports questions

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Mon Jan 26 03:06:09 PST 2009

I have head on these lists here that MacPorts is not only used by Mac
systems.  Reading the docs, I see some very Mac centric things, like
LaunchD.  Does MacPorts know the system it is on and know to not
install those things where it would conflict?  Or do I have this
wrong, and MacPorts only installs on OS X and darwin derivatives, so
Linux is not in this list?

If the above is true, and my port distro has rc files in them, knowing
those are not going to work, is it ok to remove those on install?  How
much liberty does a port author take in delting files since the work
is not entirely mine, I do not want to change the developers files too
much.  Then again, as far as I can see, rc files are useless to OS X.

The software I am making a port file for now has very outdated docs in
it, as well as docs for windows.  Is it again taking too much liberty
to remove these?  In docs, I would put a .url file pointing to new
online docs.

I have been building this portfile up as I go, it has 15 dependencies
it needs. Each of those are perl mods and has sub dependencies.  Is
there any way now, post development, to get a list of what I have
done?  How do I determine the order easily?  For example, I need p5-
mail-foo, but that needs p5-mail-bar, which also needs p5-mail-baz.
So I think I need to install p5-mail-baz first.  Is there any
automatic way to get the order, or do I just need to uninstall and
take notes?

How long does it take to get a portfile accepted?

Thank you.
--
Scott