feature suggestion: instructions for reporting build problems

John Joseph Bachir johnjosephbachir at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 14:10:39 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Perry Lee <perry at macports.org> wrote:

> I like the idea of a message, though I'd suggest displaying it after a
> broken configure or broken build phase rather than including it in the
> output of `port info`.

Even better.

And now that I think of it -- my problem was because I needed a newer Python
version - but I'm told Macports doesn't have the ability to have
dependencies specify version numbers of ports (so the newer Python was not
automatically built). so maybe another part of the message should be "before
reporting a problem, be sure that none of the dependencies of this port are
outdated".

and then, if possible, list all outdated dependencies...

of course i don't have the time or skills to build any of this myself, but
thanks for listening :)

John