---> cleaning i386-elf-gcc

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 27 02:55:05 PST 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 03:52, Haydar Altintas wrote:

> Thans for your reply.
>
> i was by the steps of installing / configuring the Virtualbox OSE
> for  MAc OsX 10.5.6

Ah, ok. Sounds like these instructions?

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Mac%20OS%20X%20build%20instructions

> So here are the steps which i used :
>
>    * DONE  Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) running on Intel hardware.
>
>    * DONE  Xcode 2.4.1 or later
>      (http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/).
>
>    * DONE Some things from MacPorts (http://www.macports.org/).
>
>    DONE After installing MacPorts, do not forget to add the following
>    two lines to your ~/.profile
>
>    DONE export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
>
>    DONE export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH
>
>    DONE Then perform the following command (see caveat in the next
>    section):
>
>    DONE sudo port install i386-elf-gcc libidl doxygen
>
>    DONE Doxygen is optional.
>
>    ERROR Note: If you are using an outdated version of MacPorts
>    i386-elf-gcc will not build on Leopard. Please update your MacPorts
>    ERROR (http://guide.macports.org/#using.port.outdated).
>    EROR (As a workaround issue sudo mv /usr/include/iconv.h
>    /usr/include/iconv.h.tmp
>    ERROR before installing i386-elf-gcc and rename back the file after
>    installing the compiler.
>    ERROR If you run into the iconv build error, you need to issue sudo
>    port clean --work i386-elf-gcc , rename the header and install
>    i386-elf-gcc again.)
>
>      ( rename the header??? which header i have to rename)

They seem to be talking about the /usr/include/iconv.h header file,
but state that you do not need to do anything with it if your version
of MacPorts is up to date. So, don't rename the header.

>      sudo port clean --work i386-elf-gcc
>     after this command i run into this
>      ---> cleaning .....etc....
>
> at the script execution
>
> admin$ ./configure --disable-hardening --disable-qt
> Checking for environment: Determined build machine: darwin.x86,
> target machine: darwin.x86, OK.
> Checking for kBuild: found, OK.
> Checking for gcc: found version 4.0.1, OK.
> Checking for libIDL: found version 0.8.12, OK.
> Checking for SDL: found version 1.2.13, OK.
> Checking for X libraries: found, OK.
> Checking for Xcursor: found, OK.
> Checking for Darwin version: found version 10.5, OK.
> Checking for i386-elf-gcc:   failed to find i386-elf-gcc
>

> The following ports are currently installed:
>  i386-elf-binutils @2.18.50.0.9_0 (active)
>
>  *i386-elf-gcc @4.3.2_0 (active)
> *
>  jpeg @6b_3 (active)
>  libiconv @1.12_2 (active)
>  libidl @0.8.12_0 (active)
>  libpixman @0.12.0_1 (active)
>  libpng @1.2.34_0 (active)
>   .......   zlib @1.2.3_2 (active)
>
> this is my problem now

Ok, so i386-elf-gcc is installed. It sounds to me like you may need
to tell the virtualbox configure script where i386-elf-gcc is
located, but their instructions don't say that. You may need to
contact the author of those instructions for clarification. I'm
installing i386-elf-gcc myself now to see where it puts its files,
but you can see this too using "port contents i386-elf-gcc". Maybe
try finding out where the i386-elf-gcc program itself is located, and
add that path to your PATH variable, or look at virtualbox's "./
configure --help" to see if there is a way to tell it where i386-elf-
gcc is. I am assuming it is not located in /opt/local/bin; if it
were, then your PATH should have allowed the virtualbox configure
script to find it.

Once you figure out what is necessary to install virtualbox on Mac OS
X, do let us know so that we can create a portfile for it, to make it
easier for other Mac users to install it.

P.S: Use Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.