named with DLZ support

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 29 13:54:18 PST 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 15:41, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> Scott Haneda wrote:
>>> I can not even find named dns server in macports, is it not
>>> there?  I
>>> need to add in dlz support to configure args, is this possible?
>>
>> Named is part of bind9
>
> I just installed it, looking in /opt/local/etc and /opt/local/var
> all files end in .dist, but all conf.dist files reference files
> that do not.
>
> Is this normal, am I supposed to go rename those files?

Ports are not supposed to install configuration files that you are
meant to edit; rather, they should install templates that you can
copy and then edit, so that future port updates do not overwrite your
changes.

The .dist extension probably means something like "as distributed",
so you are meant to copy these files to different names (whatever
name the software expects) and modify them to suit.