lzma invoked incorrectly for mpfr port ?

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Jan 29 23:37:05 PST 2009

Joe VanAndel wrote:

> Thanks, I was missing the install of the lzmautils package, which
> installed /opt/local/bin/lzma.  The 'lzma' package installs
> /opt/local/bin/lzma_alone, which I had linked to /opt/local/bin/lzma,
> by mistake.

That is not correct, as they (unfortunately) use different syntaxes.

> Seems strange (and error prone) that macports has two different lzma
> command line utilities, with lzmautils apparently forked from an
> earlier version of lzma.

It's actually worse, the LZMA SDK (known as "lzma" in MacPorts)
installs a sample program called "lzma" which doesn't have any
of the features expected from e.g. gzip and bzip2 and a strange
command line interface that was inherited from Windows - unlike
LZMA Utils (known as "lzmautils") which has a working "lzma"...

To avoid the file conflict, the older was renamed to "lzma_alone"
(which is also the name of the compression format that it produces)
It's confusing alright, but that's a problem inherited from upstream.
See http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html versus http://tukaani.org/lzma/ ?
Going forward, LZMA Utils has changed name to XZ Utils which "fixes".

The commands will continue to be lzma_alone(1), and lzma(1) -> xz(1)

But we could change the old port to "lzmasdk", if that helps anything ?

--anders