Managing launchd

Panagiotis Atmatzidis atma at convalesco.org
Thu Jul 2 09:06:35 PDT 2009

Hello,

I have a mac mini G4 that acts as a server on my home LAN offering
services (dns, http, AFP, etc).

I've installed dnsmasq but I don't know how to make launchd start
dnsmasq on boot. I understand that this has something to do with
launchd but I could not find any documentation on how to do it.

My second issue is that when I've installed lighttpd, I did a quick
configuration on the lighttpd.conf in order to make it work. I copy
and paste at the terminal the command line in order to start the demon
via launchd at boot something like this:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/
org.macports.lighttpd.plist

Now the problem is that while, I can clearly see that lighttpd doesn't
bind any port(!) is running and apparently every time I kill the
process it starts by itself, so at this point I don't have control
over this. How can manage this situation? I want to configure it first
and the put it at startup. Here's what I'm talking about:

devo:/opt/local/etc atma$ ps auwx|grep -i lighttpd
root     23921   0.0  0.1    27956    780  ??  Ss    6:57PM   0:00.01 /
opt/local/bin/daemondo --label=lighttpd --start-cmd /opt/local/etc/
LaunchDaemons/org.macports.lighttpd/lighttpd.wrap
atma     23937   0.0  0.0    27812      4  p4  R+    7:05PM   0:00.00
grep -i lighttpd
devo:/opt/local/etc atma$ sudo lsof -i|grep -i lighttpd
Password:
devo:/opt/local/etc atma$

Thank you for your time in advance,

regards

Panagiotis (atma) Atmatzidis

email:	atma at convalesco.org
URL:	http://www.convalesco.org
GnuPG key id: 0xFC4E8BB4
--
The wise man said: "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to
their level and beat you with experience."