TeXLive & TeXShop with Tex+DVI

Ben Abbott bpabbott at mac.com
Sat Jul 4 07:30:52 PDT 2009

If I try what TeXShop does from the command line ...

$ simpdftex latex --maxpfb my_file.tex
### This is /opt/local/bin/simpdftex, Version $Revision: 2.18 $
### Skipping simpdftex  [dvi->pdf only]
### /opt/local/bin/dvips -R -Poutline  -o /tmp/altpdfsimpdftex.
37498-1246716520/-n latex.ps latex
This is dvips(k) 5.96 Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com
)
/opt/local/bin/dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.
### FAILED to generate /tmp/altpdfsimpdftex.37498-1246716520/-n
latex.ps ()

I checked the syntax for simpdftex and it appears that it is being
called correctly ... for some reason simpdftex appears to skip the
creation of the dvi file.

However, latex + dvipdf works correctly.

$ latex my_file.tex;	dvipdf my_file.dvi

But then I I'm not able to make use of TeXShop's editor / previewer.

Thoughts?

Ben

p.s. I'm not using pdflatex because I'm including eps files via psfrag.