Help: making Macports Python installation work with an older version of Tcl

Tom Baldwin tbaldwin at uoregon.edu
Thu Jul 9 18:37:12 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I am seeking some help with a problem I am having running macports.

When Macports installs Python, it updates Tcl and Tk to the latest version
(8.5) as a dependency. For compatibility reasons, I want this Python
installation to work with Tcl/Tk version 8.4 instead. By commanding "port
deactivate Tcl" and "port deactivate Tk" I can restore these to what I had
before: commanding "tclsh" and then entering "info patchlevel" at the prompt
confirms that the version is now back to 8.4. I assume this is the version
which comes preinstalled on the mac.

However, when I go back to my python installation and "import Tkinter", it
fails. How can I get my macports-installed Python version to work with Tcl
and Tk which were not installed by macports?

Thank you for your help.

TkB