Help: making Macports Python installation work with an older version of Tcl

Frank Schima macsforever2000 at macports.org
Fri Jul 10 12:13:54 PDT 2009

Hi Tom,

Please use reply-all so that the list gets a copy too.

On Jul 10, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Tom Baldwin wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Frank Schima <macsforever2000 at macports.org
> > wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Tom Baldwin wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am seeking some help with a problem I am having running macports.
>
> When Macports installs Python, it updates Tcl and Tk to the latest
> version (8.5) as a dependency. For compatibility reasons, I want
> this Python installation to work with Tcl/Tk version 8.4 instead. By
> commanding "port deactivate Tcl" and "port deactivate Tk" I can
> restore these to what I had before: commanding "tclsh" and then
> entering "info patchlevel" at the prompt confirms that the version
> is now back to 8.4. I assume this is the version which comes
> preinstalled on the mac.
>
> However, when I go back to my python installation and "import
> Tkinter", it fails. How can I get my macports-installed Python
> version to work with Tcl and Tk which were not installed by macports?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> TkB
>
> MacPorts is not designed to work with built-in Mac OS X libraries
> [1]. However, I have the same requirement because I use the blt
> port. What I do is replace my local tcl and tk portfiles with the
> latest 8.4.x versions. See ticket #14488 [2] where I have attached
> those versions of the portfiles.
>
> Thank you for showing me this ticket, it was just what I was looking
> for. Using your alternate portfiles for tcl and tk, I was able to
> install version 8.4 of both.
>
> However, using your portfile for py25-tkinter fails for me since it
> cannot find setup.py. This was mentioned in the thread [1] but it's
> not clear to me how it was resolved. Do you know why this is? I
> replaced the two tcl libraries as is mentioned, but I think that had
> more to do with the runtime errors mentioned in comment #10. I did
> skip the xorg / blt stuff, since I don't think I need that just to
> run Tkinter from python.
>
> [1] <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14488#comment:9>
>
> I really appreciate your help. Thanks so much.
> TkB

You don't need the py25-tkinter port anymore due to recent changes in
python25. I should note that in the ticket - or better yet, make a
wiki page about this. Make sure you have the latest python25 portfile
(with "sudo port selfupdate"). In any event, you will have to rebuild
your python port after installing tcl/tk 8.4.

Cheers!
Frank