problem with recursing dependencies

Panagiotis Atmatzidis atma at convalesco.org
Sun Jul 12 02:23:02 PDT 2009

Hello,

Lately I'm having troubles with recursive dependencies. Every time I
install a package on a mac mini acting as a server I have keep an eye
on the variants and the dependencies before the installation (sudo
port deps/variants pkg_name).

But lately, I've tried to install rdiff-backup and although I've got a
reasonable volume of packages to be installed and I have this
configuration in the:

devo:~ atma$ tail -n 1 /opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf
-apache -apache2 +no_x11

when I try to install rdiff-backup or duplicity (incremental backup
utilities that permit remote backup via ssh/ftp) I get these packages
installed:

--->  Fetching xorg-xproto
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for xorg-xproto
--->  Extracting xorg-xproto
--->  Configuring xorg-xproto
--->  Building xorg-xproto
--->  Staging xorg-xproto into destroot
--->  Installing xorg-xproto @7.0.15_0
--->  Activating xorg-xproto @7.0.15_0
--->  Cleaning xorg-xproto
--->  Fetching xorg-bigreqsproto
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for xorg-bigreqsproto
--->  Extracting xorg-bigreqsproto
--->  Configuring xorg-bigreqsproto
--->  Building xorg-bigreqsproto
--->  Staging xorg-bigreqsproto into destroot
--->  Installing xorg-bigreqsproto @1.0.2_0
--->  Activating xorg-bigreqsproto @1.0.2_0
--->  Cleaning xorg-bigreqsproto
--->  Fetching xorg-inputproto
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for xorg-inputproto
--->  Extracting xorg-inputproto
--->  Configuring xorg-inputproto
--->  Building xorg-inputproto
--->  Staging xorg-inputproto into destroot
--->  Installing xorg-inputproto @1.5.1_0
--->  Activating xorg-inputproto @1.5.1_0
--->  Cleaning xorg-inputproto
--->  Fetching xorg-kbproto
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for xorg-kbproto
--->  Extracting xorg-kbproto
--->  Configuring xorg-kbproto
--->  Building xorg-kbproto
--->  Staging xorg-kbproto into destroot
--->  Installing xorg-kbproto @1.0.3_0
--->  Activating xorg-kbproto @1.0.3_0
--->  Cleaning xorg-kbproto
--->  Fetching xorg-libXau
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for xorg-libXau
--->  Extracting xorg-libXau
--->  Configuring xorg-libXau
--->  Building xorg-libXau
--->  Staging xorg-libXau into destroot
--->  Installing xorg-libXau @1.0.4_0
--->  Activating xorg-libXau @1.0.4_0
--->  Cleaning xorg-libXau
--->  Fetching xorg-libXdmcp
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for xorg-libXdmcp
--->  Extracting xorg-libXdmcp
--->  Configuring xorg-libXdmcp
--->  Building xorg-libXdmcp
[...]

A dozen of xorg related packages. This machine is intended to act as a
server so xorg related package should not be installed if not for
libraries. Later it tries to install xorg itself. The problem is that
I can't see the circular dependencies (say like gentoo) in order to
determine which variants cause this mess.

Can someone point me out a flexible solution here?

Regards

Panagiotis (atma) Atmatzidis

email:	atma at convalesco.org
URL:	http://www.convalesco.org
GnuPG key id: 0xFC4E8BB4
--
The wise man said: "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to
their level and beat you with experience."