Confused about installing PHP5 cli

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 13 23:11:43 PDT 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 00:29, mrbigpants wrote:

> Ah, so I always had CLI version there. I just didn't know it was in
> /opt/local/bin. Thanks for the command to upgrade to 5.3.

You can always see what software a port installs by typing e.g.

port contents php5

(once the port is installed and active)

> There is PHP4 at /usr/local/bin (came w/ OSX, I think), and my PATH
> variable
> is set so that bash shell looks in /usr/local/bin before /opt/local/
> bin.
> What's the best way to handle this? Should I just modify the PATH
> environment variable so that bash looks in /opt/local/bin first?

Apple does not supply any software in /usr/local; it is by definition
a location reserved for software you install yourself.

However, installing software in /usr/local often conflicts with
MacPorts-installed software, therefore we recommend you do not have
anything in /usr/local if you intend to use MacPorts.

Ideally, you should remove or at least rename /usr/local and install
all the software you need using MacPorts.