Confused about installing PHP5 cli

Panagiotis Atmatzidis atma at convalesco.org
Tue Jul 14 14:54:59 PDT 2009

On 14 Ιουλ 2009, at 11:00 ΜΜ, mrbigpants wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:
>>
>>> There is PHP4 at /usr/local/bin (came w/ OSX, I think)
>>
>> Apple does not supply any software in /usr/local;
>>

> I misspoke. There is a php binary in /usr/bin, which I assume came
> w/ OS X.
> Should I reorder the paths in my PATH environment variable so that
> /opt/local/bin comes before /usr/bin? What's the best way to handle
> this?
>
> Thanks.
> --

Greetings,

actually the way that makes sense for the user is, as you noted,
adjusting the path in your .bash_profile.

Here is mine:

devo:~ atma$ cat .bash_profile
#atma's profile options
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH

The $PATH variable in the end is the system's predefined. This way the
user will use the binary in /opt/local/bin rather then /bin.

However for a system-wide configure you should use (let's say for
python):

devo:~ atma$ ls /usr/bin/python
/usr/bin/python
devo:~ atma$ which python
/opt/local/bin/python
devo:~ atma$ sudo mv /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/
python.old.version_name_here
devo:~ atma$ sudo ln -sf /opt/local/bin/python /usr/bin/python

And the system-wide python would be the 1st one. However, I can't be
sure that this method will not cause troubles (that's why I choose not
to erase the original python binary).
It's better though, when using configuration files to give absolute
path to the binary you want to use, to avoid any envinroment issues.

regards

Panagiotis (atma) Atmatzidis

email:	atma at convalesco.org
URL:	http://www.convalesco.org
GnuPG key id: 0xFC4E8BB4
--
The wise man said: "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to
their level and beat you with experience."