Mplayer Hardware Optimization Question

EmmGunn emmgunn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 10:06:23 PDT 2009

Howdy,
I've been able to compile mplayer-devel via macports but I've been
struggling with what seemed like subpar performance.  I think I
figured out the problem but I'm not sure about a solution or if there
even is one.  When I compare the output of an older, precompiled
version of mencoder I see this:

MEncoder dev-SVN-r28132-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8300  @ 2.40GHz (Family: 6,
Model: 23, Stepping: 6)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2
  and
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 PHADD SSE4.1
Cache64

versus this, which I get with the macports compiled mplayer-devel:

MEncoder UNKNOWN-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
137 audio & 297 video codecs
and
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: none!

It appears that the macports compile is not optimized for MMX, ...
which appears to cut performance by about 50%.  Anyone have any ideas
on how to fixe this.  I didn't see anything in the port file or among
the variants that seemed related to this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.