Can't cleanup

Payam Minoofar payam.minoofar at meissner.com
Wed Jul 22 10:52:51 PDT 2009

Ah, thank you very much. I get my fink and macports commands mixed up.

Payam

On 7/22/09 10:21 AM, "Frank Schima" <macsforever2000 at macports.org> wrote:

On Jul 22, 2009, at 11:07 AM, Payam Minoofar wrote:

I get this error when I try to some cleaning up after many rounds of updating and upgrading.

 [payam-imac:~] payam% sudo port clean --archive
 Can't map the URL 'file://.' to a port description file ("Could not find Portfile in /Users/payam").
 Please verify that the directory and portfile syntax are correct.
 To use the current port, you must be in a port's directory.
 (you might also see this message if a pseudo-port such as
 outdated or installed expands to no ports).
 [payam-imac:~] payam% sudo port clean --all
 Can't map the URL 'file://.' to a port description file ("Could not find Portfile in /Users/payam").
 Please verify that the directory and portfile syntax are correct.
 To use the current port, you must be in a port's directory.
 (you might also see this message if a pseudo-port such as
 outdated or installed expands to no ports).
 [payam-imac:~] payam%

You need to specify a port or pseudo-port. For example:

sudo port clean --all installed

One effective way to clean up is to remove old installed ports:

sudo port uninstall inactive

Fair warning: this makes it much harder to go back to an older version of a port.

Cheers!
Frank