Darwin Ports

Brandon Allbery allbery at kf8nh.com
Fri Jul 24 10:28:09 PDT 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 13:13 , Scott Haneda wrote:
> Are MacPorts port files compatable with Darwin Ports? Is Darwin
> Ports still even alive?

AFAIK MacPorts *is* (or is the successor to) DarwinPorts; the two are
not entirely compatible as MacPorts has evolved considerably.

> What are the package managers for the other BSD's? If I was to
> desire to start using something like FreeBSD or openBSD, would I be
> able to have easy access to all the great software MacPorts offers?

DarwinPorts/MacPorts is (very loosely) based on the ports system in
FreeBSD, but FreeBSD ports is more flexible.  In general if you can
find it in MacPorts, it's probably in FreeBSD ports/NetBSD pkgsrc; I
can't speak to OpenBSD ports though.

> Getting a little off topic, how parallel are the other BSD's to OS
> X. For example, would I find launchd on free/open BSD?

No to launchd.  In general if it involves or knows about Mach ports
its portability to *BSD is dubious.  (Launchd is actually designed to
be somewhat portable, but I expect fitting it in place of init in the
FreeBSD startup sequence would require considerable experience.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu