dovecot 1.1.11 vs 1.1.15

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 03:07:35 PDT 2009

On Mon, June 1, 2009 06:04, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 31, 2009, at 19:27, Mark Hattam wrote:
>
>> OK ... good to see the version up to date ... only problem is that
>> it doesn't run.
>>
>> Luckily I didn't do the "uninstall inactive" after the "upgrade
>> outdated" which I normally do as a matter of course, so I'm now
>> back on 1.1.11
>>
>> However, even 1.1.11 didn't work again initially.
>>
>> It seemed to lose access to
>> /opt/local/var/run/dovecot/login
>>
>> so I've chmod'd that to 777 and 1.1.11 is now able to work.
>> However, deactivating that and activating 1.1.15 is still "no joy".
>
> Before deactivating 1.1.11, you stop the server process, yes? And
> after activating 1.1.15 you try to start the new one? What error
> message do you get?

The error message I got trying to start 1.1.15 "manually" was that it had permission denied accessing
/opt/local/var/run/dovecot/login

Having chmod'd that to 777, 1.1.11 now runs, and writes its pid in there. But 1.1.15 still can't run. I can't find
where it writes a log, not that it gets far enough to do that.

The machine had several reboots late last night as I was making sure that it had a "clean run". Previous upgrades of
dovecot appear not to have had this type of problem. Initially I was getting port 143 refused from mail clients, so
wasted a fair amount of time re-looking through dovecot's config, the passwd.dovecot file and so on, checking the
dovecot site to ensure that PLAIN was still supported etc etc etc.

I just though it rather strange that the place that it writes its pid file, which clearly used to work, suddenly
became unavailable to it through permissions.

Mark