port mask

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Jun 1 18:01:39 PDT 2009

On 2009-06-02 02:43, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> Gentoo has package masking to stop their package manager from working
> with certain packages and/or versions.
>
> /etc/portage/package.mask:
>>=devel/openssl-1.0
>
> Is there a way to have port ignore ports/versions?

MacPorts does only provide and handle one version per port. So to stop
some port from upgrading, you could put the older version into a local
ports tree which takes precedence over the official one. port(1) will
only operate on the first matching port.

http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort

But as we do not track version numbers in dependencies, you would have
to watch out for build errors if ABI changes occur in the library or
other incompatibilities with older versions are introduced.

Rainer