Ability to run Anacron as a user

macports at festus.festusandsimone.org macports at festus.festusandsimone.org
Wed Jun 3 11:04:54 PDT 2009

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 13:47 -0700, "Scott Haneda" <talklists at newgeo.com>
wrote:

> Perhaps you may want to ditch anacron, and look into launchd?  Lingon
> can be used, I believe, in the same way to shied you from the
> intricacies of OS X scheduling.

Thanks Scott! Being a fairly recent Mac user (moving from Gentoo),
this looks like it will work out just perfectly. Consider anacron to be
off this
machine  soon.

> If you are able to run interactively your rsync script, which I assume
> asks you for a password to login, then anacron, or launchd are both
> going to need keys on the server no matter what.
>
> Somewhere, you have to have the keys to do a passwordless login.  If
> your machine is compromised, you can always revoke the keys quickly.
> Reading a little about anacron, I can not see there being anything
> launchd can not do, and much more.

Yeah, passwordless login is working just fine. That wasn't the issue. It
was
just getting the script scheduled to run under user credentials.

> Curious also, make sure you use rsync correctly, if you are syncing
> mac files, there are special flags you need to add in order to not
> nuke your Mac OS X resource/data forks, thereby breaking your files
> and having an incomplete backup.

I don't have my rsync command line in front of me right now (at work),
but I've
pulled and consolidated a bunch of rsync scripts for Mac users from the
web. Do
you have any special flags that you recommend, and I'll compare them
with
what I have tonight.

> Hope this is a little helpful, not entirely the answer you were after,
> but something I think in the end you will be more happy with.
> --

Thanks,
festus