MPICH2 package

Alejandro Aragon alejandro.aragon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 10:43:42 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I installed the package mpich2 and I'm trying to find out how to use
it in the mac. This may be a little too complicated, but maybe someone
faced this issue before and can save me a lot of time trying to find
out the solution.

I've been using the macports GCC43 compiler to build my code, together
with autotools. When using autotools, a macro is used to detect the
presence of mpi in the system. The macro is

ACX_MPI([AC_MSG_NOTICE([MPI enabled])],[AC_MSG_NOTICE([MPI disabled])])

Now, the macro finds mpiCC, which in this case is the one installed
through macports

aaragon@~/Documents/workspace/xga$which mpiCC
/opt/local/bin/mpiCC
aaragon@~/Documents/workspace/xga$mpiCC --version
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
is NO
PURPOSE.

So far so good, but then the test fails as follows:

configure:17516: checking for mpiCC
configure:17532: found /opt/local/bin/mpiCC
configure:17543: result: mpiCC
configure:17561: checking for MPI_Init
configure:17617: mpiCC -o conftest -g -O3 -I/Users/aaragon/Lib/include
-I/opt/local/include -L/Users/aaragon/Lib/lib -L/opt/local/lib
conftest.cpp  >&5
Undefined symbols:
   "___gxx_personality_v0", referenced from:
       ___gxx_personality_v0$non_lazy_ptr in ccCBfhuI.o
ld: symbol(s) not found

So I guess the issue is the use of a much older compiler to the one I
was using to compile the code (namely GCC43).

Does anybody know how to get around this?

Thank you all,

aa