mysql5-devel vs. mysql5-client/mysql5-server

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 7 13:23:22 PDT 2009

On Jun 6, 2009, at 10:39, Chris Janton wrote:

> At some point I expect that mysql5-client/server will switch to
> version 5.1

Yes, there's probably no reason to hold up this upgrade any longer:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19414

> At that point I will want to make my "working" system (5.1) not use
> the mysql5-devel port, but the client/server ports.
>
> Is it simply a matter of
>
>  port deactivate mysql5-devel
>  port install mysql5-client
>  port install mysql5-server

Yes, except there isn't a "mysql5-client" port as originally
suggested in the ticket:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12313

Rather, it is called just "mysql5" and the server port is "mysql5-
server". So you can:

sudo port deactivate mysql5-devel
sudo port install mysql5-server