How does Macport work?

Timothy Goins ohce86 at kitcarson.net
Wed Jun 10 17:08:37 PDT 2009

Fon's question got me thinking.  While /opt/local/bin precedes /usr/
bin in my $PATH, when I `which gcc` I get /usr/bin/gcc.  Huh?  Since
I've never had insurmountable compiler glitches, I'd lost track of how
I'd worked around previous issues.  I have created a mess!  In /usr/
bin/ I've got two executables, gcc-4.0 and gcc-4.2 (renamed mp files,
if I recall correctly) and two links:

gcc -> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 and
gcc-4.3 -> /opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.3

In /opt/local/bin, I've got gcc-mp-4.3 and gcc-mp-4.4 (and the gccbug
executables).

I would like to be able to type gcc and fire up the latest C compiler
(gcc-mp-4.4?), which is not as problem; however, I don't want to try
to compile older code that might (?) not be compatible with gcc-mp 4.4.

What is the "clean", correct way to manage my C compiler(s)?

Thanks.

Tim