binpath

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 10 21:54:03 PDT 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 18:28, Thomas De Contes wrote:

> i want to install the port "gnat-gcc"
> for that, it needs to use an other (older) gnat

IMHO this port is in violation of the basic requirement that a port
should install everything it needs. If gnat needs an older version of
gnat to build, gnat must download and use an older version of gnat.
The port ghc gives an example of how such a bootstrap can be done.

> i have http://homepage.mac.com/awreynolds/.Public/Ada/PowerPC/fsf-
> ppc-ada-4.3-20080203-10.4-most-langs.tgz
> but i want to put it at a personal location, to not merge it with
> other stuff and be able to remove it esier
>
> i found binpath in macports.conf
>

> i think it's what i need :-)
>
> i would like just to not have to edit macports.conf (if i have to
> reinstall MacPorts, for any reason)
>
> is it possible to set binpath with ./configure ?
> i didn't find anything in "./configure --help"
>
> if yes, is it possible to add a path to binpath, like we do for
> PATH in .profile, rather than set it from scratch ?

I do not know if it is possible to do what you ask. It is not
something I would want a user to do. In fact, I usually don't want a
user to edit binpath at all. I was rather apprehensive when the
option to change it in macports.conf was initially added.