port install gnat-gcc

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Sun Jun 14 22:36:53 PDT 2009

On 13/06/2009, at 8:54 PM, Martin Krischik wrote:

> That is strange as it is one of the three the offical releases of
> GNAT:
> GNAT GPL (the free beer version), GNAT GAP (the accademic version) and
> GNAT PRO (the fully supported version).
>
> Beginners should consider GNAT GPL - gnat-gcc in MacPorts is more for
> advaned users. Also GNAT GPL 2009 now comes with an 64 bit compiler.
> That is pretty cool.

Just a couple of quick notes on the various GNAT versions that might
be useful to know:

1. GNAT GAP is only available on application to professors/lecturers
at accredited tertiary education institutions for the purposes of
teaching;
2. GNAT GPL requires that any software compiled with it be released
under GPLv3, while software compiled with the Ada compiler in GCC can
be released under non-GPL licences;
3. GNAT GPL is a superset of the GCC Ada compiler -- the Ada support
in GCC is made available by AdaCore under a modified GPL licence that
allows binaries compiled with it to be released under non-GPL
licences, whereas software compiled with GNAT GPL links to AdaCore
libraries that are GPL-licensed (this is the reason for point 2 above);
4. GNAT GPL on Mac OS X is currently available for 32-bit and 64-bit
PowerPC and 64-bit Intel (x86_64), but not 32-bit Intel (i386), while
the GCC Ada compiler is should run on all four architectures;

> There is only one version if GNAT for MacPorts so there is nothing to
> update.

If it's of any interest to anyone, I've been having a go at creating a
port that builds in the recommended way by downloading a bootstrap
compiler and uses that to build GCC with Ada support, as the ghc port
does.  (Because of the way that GCC builds and installs itself with
absolute path references, the only way that I can see to get that to
work would be to have the bootstrap built for installation into a
temporary subdirectory of /var/tmp, have that build and install GCC
with Ada support on the local machine, and then delete the bootstrap
compiler -- though that may mean that it won't work with trace mode on).

I'm in the middle of exams right now, so I won't have much time to
work on it until the end of the month, but I'd be happy to talk to you
about it, either in macports-dev or off-list.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang