Error building ghc 6.10.3

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 16 21:06:21 PDT 2009

On Jun 16, 2009, at 11:14, S. Günther wrote:

> I'm trying to install ghc 6.10.3 for quite a while now on my
> system (Mac OS X Tiger, Intel, Xcode 2.5) but I keep getting
> the error:
>
> Preprocessing library ghc-6.10.3...
> /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: can't locate file
> for: -lgmp
>
> during the build phase. I went so far as to do:
>
> sudo port -f uninstall installed
> sudo rm -rf /opt/ /Library/Tcl/macports1.0/
> /Library/Receipts/MacPorts*.pkg ~/.macports/
>
> and reinstall MacPorts from scratch.

Be aware that the MacPorts prefix is /opt/local, not /opt. There may
be other things in /opt, outside of /opt/local, which are not related
to MacPorts. Correct uninstall instructions are in the FAQ:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts

> I'm reluctant to file a bug report because the last time I filed
> one, it was an error on my side and not a bug in the ports
> system and since a few bugs with this error message have
> been filed but have been considered fixed, I presume there
> is a high probability that I messed up. So I would like to ask
> for pointers on where to look for things in the system which
> might lead to such an error message, and which can be fixed
> by myself.

Don't worry, I get the error too. This is the ticket:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19747

The ticket was for an error when prefix is not /opt/local, and I
fixed that, but curiously, when prefix is /opt/local, as it is for
most users, the problem remains.