rake failure

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Fri Jun 19 11:18:09 PDT 2009

Thanks. I think I put the mac to sleep half way through the install
and it got confused.

Now on installing postgres83-server, and following the instructions
post install, I get this

$ sudo su postgres -c '/opt/local/lib/postgresql83/bin/initdb -D /opt/
local/var/db/postgresql83/defaultdb'
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Permission denied
could not identify current directory: Permission denied
could not identify current directory: Permission denied
could not identify current directory: Permission denied
The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in the
same directory as "initdb".
Check your installation.

Anyone have any clue?

The two other commands it said to do worked fine:

  sudo mkdir -p /opt/local/var/db/postgresql83/defaultdb
  sudo chown postgres:postgres /opt/local/var/db/postgresql83/defaultdb

On 19 Jun 2009, at 11:07, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 2009-06-19 16:07, SteveC wrote:
>> Help. This is on a new install of macports.
>
> If this would be a totally new install there would not be such
> conflicts. :-)
>
>> $ sudo port install rb-rails
>> Password:
>> --->  Activating rb-rake @0.8.3_0
>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/
>> local/
>> bin/rake already exists and does not belong to a registered port.
>> Unable to activate port rb-rake.
>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: rb-rake rb-sqlite3
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>
> In general this error means you installed something into the MacPorts
> prefix without using the port command. 'sudo port -f activate rb-rake'
> will rename the conflicting files.
>
> Did you use gem directly? You should avoid that.
>
> Rainer

Best

Steve